In April of 1833 the Reverend Nathan Noyes arrived in the Territory of Michigan and settled in a sparsely populated area known as Northville. He found a few Baptists who rejoiced in the idea of starting a church. In November of 1834 a church was officially organized with 17 charter members. Funds were raised to secure a piece of property, and by January, 1841 the new meeting house was completed on the corner of Wing and Randolph Street.
That original structure is still used today, although it has been modified and remodeled several times. In 1853 horse sheds where built to shelter the faithful horses that brought many to church. In 1880 the church purchased a 1,000 pound bell to call townspeople to worship, it is still rung today on special occasions. In 1911 electric lights were installed, and church members were asked to give an extra penny to cover the cost.
The original building was renovated in the 1920’s and again in the 50’s including digging a basement by hand under the structure. In October of 1960 a new 50’ X 60’ addition was built which consisted of a new auditorium and a fellowship hall in the basement. Seeing the need for more classroom space an educational wing was completed in January 1975. This 12,000 square foot addition housed classroom space, new bathrooms and new offices for the church staff.
In June of 1999 the church called Jon Wilkes to be the 47th pastor. As we move toward our second century of ministry in this wonderful community we look forward to seeing what God will do in our midst. The original intent of sharing the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ with the people of Northville and the surrounding area is still the focus of First Baptist Church.